Seilers

Seilers
Having some fun

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Chicago Half Marathon

I set a goal to run a half marathon before I turned 40 and I did it. My friend Gretchen set me up on the challange and then once I registered for the run in Chicago there was no turning back. (I am not one to let a registration fee go to waste :) Tommy Jr. and I traveled to WI to see baby Lincoln, celebrate Tommy turning 5 and to have a day of fun at Dozer Days. Then we left for Chicago and visited with my friend Mary. Her neighbor, a professional chef, made us a fantastic dinner and then by 6 a.m. we were out the door headed to the race on Lake Shore Ave. There were over 14,000 people racing with me and my friend Rachel, wow it was alive with energy. It was more of a challange to run in a crowded street than it was when I trained where typically I only shared pavement for brief encounters where someone was passing me. I broke my running time of a 10 minute mile and came in at a 9:48 minute mile pace. I finished 13.1 miles in 2 hours and 7 minutes. Tommy and Mary cheered for me at mile 4 and again at the finish line. How fantastic it was to have Tommy present me with a flower, a dandaline, at the end of the race, it truly touched my heart. Mary loaded me up with some devine dark chocolate treats for the ride home and Tommy slept most of the drive back to Indy. Once home, Sammie, baby Allie and Tom had a huge celebration display to congratulate me. Balloons, and ice cream cake, cards, medals, trophies, garland and a spa gift certificate were some of the many goodies I received. Thanks to everyone who helped me make this goal, called with encouragement, asked me how my running was going, prayed for my aches and pains and cheered for me, it really made me feel special. A big thanks to Tom Sr. who put the kids to bed by himself night after night while I was out running. A final note to Brooke, Tommy, Sammie and Clayton, I did not offically win but in my heart and mind I did. :)










My actual running photos are posted here if you are interested:

www.marathonfoto.com

You will need my last name, the race name: Chicago Half 2009, and my bib number: 11878

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Wow, Karen! I am in awe of you!!! Great job on reaching your goal:) We were at dozer day, too -sorry we didn't see you. Miss you;) Heidi L.